A Brief History of the United States Flag
The United States flag is an intricate part of the great American story, but few know its history. Some people believe that the flag was designed by Francis Hopkinson, a New Jersey congressman, and sewed by Philadelphia resident Betsy Ross. While historians debate these origins, let’s go over known facts about the United States flag.
- All the symbols on the flag have meaning. The thirteen stripes represent the original thirteen colonies, while the stars signify each of the fifty states. The colors also have meaning, with white symbolizing purity and innocence, red indicating hardiness and valor, and blue representing vigilance, perseverance, and justice.
- The flag has inspired many songwriters, including Francis Scott Key when he wrote “The Star-Spangled Banner,” James B. Upham and Francis Bellamy when they wrote “The Pledge of Allegiance,” and Johnny Cash when he wrote “Ragged Old Flag.”
- An American flag, made by Annin, made it to outer space when Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin placed it on the moon in July 1969.
- The flag has its own set of rules that one must abide by to fly it properly. It should be flown from dawn to dusk and put away during inclement weather. If the flag flies during the night, it must always be illuminated.
- There are a few locations where the flag is ordered to be flown 24 hours a day. These locations are designated by law or presidential proclamation.
Flagpole installation Roanoke VA
Now that you know the history of our nation’s flag, it’s time to think about displaying one outside your home or business. We can help with all your needs. We offer the best flagpole installation Roanoke VA has to offer!
Related Reading Flagpole Installation
What is the Importance of Folding an American Flag?People hire the best flagpole installation so that they can proudly fly an American flag. please reach out for flagpole installation in Roanoke VA.
- What are the Steps of Folding an American Flag?
- The Benefits of Custom Flags for Businesses